Author Topic: Basic hello world app  (Read 10912 times)

p3aul

Basic hello world app
« on: January 17, 2017, 10:11:40 AM »
Ok I am having a problem. After I create the program and run it I get the splash screen. I click on the splash screen, it goes away and I push the button with my mouse. I get the dialog box that says "Hello world". I then click on the mode menu "Design". I get this error box as below. What is Exception 5? When I goto the hello folder on my computer I have the APK file. I sideload this to a directory on my phone called downloads. I use an app on my phone called File Manager. When I navigate to the download directory on my phone and select hello.apk, it asks me if I want to install, so I install and then run the app. All I get is a small rectangle in the upper left of my phone with a very tiny button. In essence, the image of the screen in HAC. I can't make it bigger and when I "push" it nothing happens. I built an app using the MIT appinventor and sideloaded it from my computer and it worked fine so I know this method works. Using appinventor is alright but you can't make any serious apps. The method is so juvenile.
Thanks,
Paul 

Malkom

• Administrator
Re: Basic hello world app
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 01:52:50 PM »
Ok I am having a problem. After I create the program and run it I get the splash screen. I click on the splash screen, it goes away and I push the button with my mouse. I get the dialog box that says "Hello world". I then click on the mode menu "Design". I get this error box as below. What is Exception 5? When I goto the hello folder on my computer I have the APK file. I sideload this to a directory on my phone called downloads. I use an app on my phone called File Manager. When I navigate to the download directory on my phone and select hello.apk, it asks me if I want to install, so I install and then run the app. All I get is a small rectangle in the upper left of my phone with a very tiny button. In essence, the image of the screen in HAC. I can't make it bigger and when I "push" it nothing happens. I built an app using the MIT appinventor and sideloaded it from my computer and it worked fine so I know this method works. Using appinventor is alright but you can't make any serious apps. The method is so juvenile.
Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul,

I hope the following post might help you with your "Exception =5" problem:-

http://www.tigabyte.com/forum/index.php?topic=169.0

I'll do some checks now to see if I can find out what might be causing your Hello app to be scaled so small on your phone.

Malkom
I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

p3aul

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 02:21:47 PM »
The Emulator seems fine. I'll just have to live with that. I'll keep checking back to see if you have a solution to my problem of the small app on my phone.
Thanks,
Paul

Malkom

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 04:29:33 PM »
The Emulator seems fine. I'll just have to live with that. I'll keep checking back to see if you have a solution to my problem of the small app on my phone.
Thanks,
Paul
Which model of phone and Android OS does it use?

Perhaps you have already tried using HAC to run your app on your phone using HAC's Go menu, option Run Android

Also, in HAC, menu Android, option Your Application, is the scale setting set to To Fit or Stretch. I'm guessing your phone has high res screen.

Malkom

I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

p3aul

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 12:50:21 AM »
Also, in HAC, menu Android, option Your Application, is the scale setting set to To Fit or Stretch. I'm guessing your phone has high res screen.

That was the problem! I set it to "Fit" rebuilt it and it ran perfectly!
Thanks,
Paul

Majorsingh

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 08:48:31 AM »
Thanks,
Paul
Which model of phone and Android OS does it use?

Perhaps you have already tried using HAC to run your app on your phone using HAC's Go menu, option Run Android

Malkom