Author Topic: Quick start help please  (Read 4820 times)

Test96

Quick start help please
« on: October 30, 2011, 10:37:19 AM »
Hi,

I'm completely new to programming but wouild like to try and make some small apps for Android.

A few days ago I downloaded HAC and ran the installer but while trying to run the Lunar Lander project came across some problems concerning PATHS .
It seems from posts here that PATHS means it can't find something but I don't understand the answers here.

Is there an easy way in just a few steps to install HAC and run the projects?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:41:04 PM by Malkom »

Malkom

• Administrator
Re: Quick start help please
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 05:21:25 PM »
Hi,

I'm completely new to programming but wouild like to try and make some small apps for Android.

A few days ago I downloaded HAC and ran the installer but while trying to run the Lunar Lander project came across some problems concerning PATHS .
It seems from posts here that PATHS means it can't find something but I don't understand the answers here.

Is there an easy way in just a few steps to install HAC and run the projects?

Hello

I'm sorry for the problems you are having but HAC does need some helper programs to build Android apps and it cannot run properly without them. It needs both Google's Android SDK and Java SDK installing. Once these are installed it then needs to know the PATHS to where they are located although it can usually find them itself. The error you mentioned will be because HAC did not know the correct PATHS.

1) INSTALLING HAC AND ITS HELPERS

Below is an overview of what needs doing but the details are at this link:-

http://www.hypernextandroid.com/hnfiles/proginstall.html

If you have already done any of these steps then just skip that step.

1) Download HAC, install it but don't run it yet (this step could be done last).

2) Download and install the Java SDK

3) Download and install the Android SDK
    This step can take an hour or more as it needs to download a couple of GigaBytes or so.

4) Download and install Apple Quicktime although its not always needed but best to be on the safe side.

5) Run HAC and check that is has the correct PATHS - this post explains how:-

http://www.hypernextandroid.com/forum/index.php?topic=13.0

2) CREATING AN EMULATOR OR CONNECTING TO ANDROID DEVICE

Once HAC is fully installed and ready to go you need to create an Emulator or else connect to your Android device as described below:-

1) If you need to create an emulator use HAC and from its Android menu select the Android SDK option then follow these steps

http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/devices/managing-avds.html

2) If you need to connect to an Android device with working USB then just plug in its USB cable and HAC should auto-detect it when you use the HAC's Android Device Manager available via Android menu select the Manage Devices option.

3) If you need to connect an Android device via wireless then you will need to know its IP address either from its settings menu or via a utility like adbWireless etc. Once you have the IP address then  connect to your device using HAC's Go menu select the Wireless Connect option and enter your IP address, eg 192.168.1.65

If your Emulator or Android Device does not appear in HAC's devices list then in HAC's Device Manager press the Refresh All button. If this doe snot work then just quit HAC and restart it.

3) RUNNING A PROJECT

1) Open your project from the File menu and option Open.

2)  Select your device by using HAC's Android Device Manager available via Android menu select the Manage Devices option. Select the device or emulator from the Runnable Devices list then close the window.

3) To run your project on the emulator or device use HAC's Go menu and select the Run Android option. HAC should then build and run the project on your emulator or device.

I hope this will get you started.

Malkom

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:53:30 AM by Malkom »
I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

Test96

Re: Quick start help please
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 01:42:32 PM »
Thank you for your help and detailed reply as its helped me to get the Lunar Lander project running on an emulator. HAC had the problem because I hadn't installed the helper programs.  Once they were installed in worked straight away.

anything