Author Topic: Advice on programming my game  (Read 5603 times)

Mikey

Advice on programming my game
« on: September 25, 2011, 09:48:42 AM »
Hi All
Can anyone please help me with advice on my project.
I would like to make a simple Android game and only have until end of term at xmas but i've never programmed before.
Other programming forums say that one has to know the Jave OOP language and that its very difficult to learn Android  programming. Would it be possible to learn how to make a game with Hypernext in this time?
My game would be similar to the the Lunar Lander Android game but needs the player to touch the falling pictures.
Creatures fall from the top of the screen and the player has to touch the correct type and ignore all others. If the  chosen ones hit the ground the the player loses points. It also needs a High Score table and i'm not sure what else, perhaps sound effects.
Where should i start?
Also my home computer is Windows 7 pc and my Android phone is an HTC Hero, will these be okay?
Mikey

Malkom

• Administrator
Re: Advice on programming my game
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 05:15:31 PM »
Hi Mikey
Welcome to our forums.

Can anyone please help me with advice on my project.
I would like to make a simple Android game and only have until end of term at xmas but i've never programmed before.
Other programming forums say that one has to know the Jave OOP language and that its very difficult to learn Android  programming. Would it be possible to learn how to make a game with Hypernext in this time?

Yes it should be possible as HAC hides those Java OOP parts from the user and accesses their functionality using English-like commands.

First you will have to install HAC as described in the link below. It should take about an hour with the installation of the Android SDK taking up most of the time.

http://www.hypernextandroid.com/hnfiles/proginstall.html

Next you have a choice of either following the Hello World tutorial described in the link below or of opening the Lunar Lander and Aquarium projects to see how they work. Opening the projects first though might be confusing as you need to learn your way around the Script Editor in HAC.

http://www.hypernextandroid.com/hnfiles/progfirst.html

My game would be similar to the the Lunar Lander Android game but needs the player to touch the falling pictures.
Creatures fall from the top of the screen and the player has to touch the correct type and ignore all others. If the  chosen ones hit the ground the the player loses points. It also needs a High Score table and i'm not sure what else, perhaps sound effects.
Where should i start?

I think the Aquarium project suits your needs best as it is less complex than the Lunar Lander game because the Lunar Lander game has code in it for checking keys / trackerball and for drawing the control panel. Also the Aquarium game has several fish sprites moving about plus the code to detect when they are touched or collide with one another.

By the way,  once you are ready to make your own project it would be best to create a new project with at least 3 cards - a card is the name for a screen in HyperNext.

Card 1 - splash screen

Card 2 - your game animation

Card 3 - High Score table

Also my home computer is Windows 7 pc and my Android phone is an HTC Hero, will these be okay?
Mikey

Yes these should work fine with HAC.

Best of luck.

Malkom

P.S
The Lunar Lander and Aquarium  projects each have a short readme file inside their project folders.
I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

Mikey

Re: Advice on programming my game
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 12:58:50 PM »
Hi Malkom
Thank you for the help and encouragement. I'll try to install hac and follow your steps.
Mikey

anything