Author Topic: Help with Private Key  (Read 1902 times)

GeorgeC

Help with Private Key
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:36:19 AM »
I need some help with making a Private key so i can upload a test app to Anderoid Market.

The "Signing Window" has so much information that I'm not sure which boxes to fill in. Also some of the little "?" buttons don't bring up help and just show "Body Text". So, which boxes must be filled and are they checked by Market when an app is submitted.?
Android G1
Win XP 2GHz P4 1G RAM

Malkom

• Administrator
Re: Help with Private Key
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 04:47:34 PM »
You have found a bug as those "Body Text" messages are place holders for the real help text - we'll put some real help text there in the next update.

About the contents of those boxes, you just need the Key Name and Password along with at least one other from the six lower long boxes. Together the info from the long boxes is used to generate your Private Key.

So your name or business name in the First and Last names box would be fine. The fields are also there to help you remember details about your app.

Android market just needs your Private Key and the box contents are just used by you to make your Private Key for that app. By the way, those details that are used to generate the Private Key are actually called a Certificate.
I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

GeorgeC

Re: Help with Private Key
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:20:34 AM »
That covers it all thank you. My app is now signed and upload tested. Quite easy once the information overload was sorted out.

The book: Android Application Development for DUMMIES explains this with pictures and they helped as well.
Android G1
Win XP 2GHz P4 1G RAM