Author Topic: Kindle Fire:- Cannot write to external storage  (Read 6626 times)

Joel

Kindle Fire:- Cannot write to external storage
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »
Hello

I followed the HAC Kindle Fire blog and now have HAC connected to my Fire but when I try to run the Hello World project or for that matter any other project the debugger gives the error message "Cannot write to external storage". Its strange because these same apps on the HAC projects webpage all run on my Fire. Do I need to set something up in my HAC projects or on Windows to get around this error?

Thank you,
Joel

Malkom

• Administrator
Re: Kindle Fire:- Cannot write to external storage
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »
Hello

I followed the HAC Kindle Fire blog and now have HAC connected to my Fire but when I try to run the Hello World project or for that matter any other project the debugger gives the error message "Cannot write to external storage". Its strange because these same apps on the HAC projects webpage all run on my Fire. Do I need to set something up in my HAC projects or on Windows to get around this error?

Thank you,
Joel

Hi Joel

It sounds like your Kindle Fire still has its internal storage connected to your PC via the USB cable.

Did you definitely switch off the connection using the Disconnect button on your Kindle Fire's screen?
When the USB cable is first plugged into the Kindle Fire and the USB connection is made with the PC then the screen should go black and the USB cable drawing should appear - at the bottom of the screen should be a Disconnect button - pressing it should disconnect the internal storage and allow any apps sent from HAC to write to it.

If you have already disconnected the internal storage - are there any other debug messages appearing the the DDMS log window?

Malkom

I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

Joel

Re: Kindle Fire:- Cannot write to external storage
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »
Hello Malkom

Thank you, it did the trick, and thank you for explaining it.

But its crazy, as to me, "Disconnect" implies breaking the connection with the PC.
If Amazon had put a brief message about debugging on the Fire's screen then I wouldn't have lost all this time.

Joel

anything