Author Topic: Cant find Android device  (Read 12936 times)

sippytom

Re: Cant find Android device
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 09:34:48 PM »
Morning Malkom,
Had a thought last night in bed. A difference between the tablet and phone is that the tablet does not have a sd card. (Well I have not put one in as yet)
Do you write to the sd card or whatever memory is available.
I have 32 gigs so did not see the reason for putting some in.
Just a thought. Also put an idea up re databases last night as well.

Tom

Btw will check the debu'gger when I get home this afternoon.

Malkom

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 07:41:59 AM »
Morning Malkom,
Had a thought last night in bed. A difference between the tablet and phone is that the tablet does not have a sd card. (Well I have not put one in as yet)
Do you write to the sd card or whatever memory is available.
I have 32 gigs so did not see the reason for putting some in.
Just a thought. Also put an idea up re databases last night as well.

Tom

Btw will check the debu'gger when I get home this afternoon.

Hi Tom

Thats a brilliant thought and you might have solved it because yes, an SD card is needed.
HAC built apps make a copy of their data and place it on SD card because the Android OS protects/limits what can be done with the data on internal storage. Some early phones didn't have an SD card as standard but adding one enabled HAC apps to work on them.

I read your thoughts on database. With regard to quick easy storage of game prefs data etc - I did some quick tests on a HAC app but found a bug. When an app quits it has the option of saving all its data including variables, fields etc but this bug prevents that happening. Basically the app now just loads its the original data that was placed in its fields when it was first installed. We'll get this fixed as top priority but are currently getting ready to release an urgent update to HAC that allows it to run on non-English language Windows systems such as Greek etc.

Malkom

I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

sippytom

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 08:49:20 AM »
I will go and buy an sd-card tomorrow and see what happens. fingers crossed.
Tis amazing what you think about in bed. lol

My database needs are huge. Most of the apps I need to build will need a good database, either dbf or mySql.
What they will do is sync with the windows version of the software when the clients needs to do an update. This hopefully will be done via wireless or usb. I need a foolproof way of syncing the data. (for me to figure out)
I am using your software because of the intuitive way you build cards. I use a very similar idea with tabs so the porting of the tabs to the screens will be easy. As you can imagine my only problem is the use of a database.

Have been searching all afternoon on adb wireless. It does seem that I will have to root the tablet. I am still very weary of doing this.
I also did some console tests on the xoom but permission was not granted for anything to do with adb. Would it have anything to do with the port that adb on windows is looking for. (5555 I think)
Can I find out what port in being used on the xoom?

Tom

sippytom

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »
success with adb
With heaps of google searching I found a command prompt for adb.
All I put in was adb connect 192.168.1.5:5555
It works. Maybe in your adb wireless connect put in that you you need :5555 as well
Happy chap. All I need now is a sd card

Tom

sippytom

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 11:55:52 AM »
forget that last bit. No idea what I did but worked for a bit.
Have put in an old sd card from old phone. Still has same problem.
After turning off the xoom and installing card then the adb wireless stopped working.
Back to the drawing board.
Anything that I need to do to use the card i.e. format it etc.
Tom

sippytom

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 12:06:46 PM »
and now for the bad news. The sd card is read only on the xoom. Have done some reading on it, motorola have not said when this will be fixed, bugger. Is their any way for your program to do the install on my main memory not the sd card memory. (please)
All of my apps will be written for the tablet series of devices.

Tom

sippytom

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 12:29:32 PM »
Just a thought. Basic4Android works fine with adb wireless and the apps will start on the xoom and can be debugged.
It will be a shame if I have to go this way, since I like the look and feel of your software so much better.
and they have mysql working well.

Tom

Malkom

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 12:57:25 PM »
and now for the bad news. The sd card is read only on the xoom. Have done some reading on it, motorola have not said when this will be fixed, bugger. Is their any way for your program to do the install on my main memory not the sd card memory. (please)
All of my apps will be written for the tablet series of devices.

Tom

There might be good news on Zoom as this article below says an update was released (August 2011) that fixed a number of issues and aded new features, including writeable SDcard although perhaps they aren't really writeable.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390568,00.asp

Malkom

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 01:00:40 PM »
success with adb
With heaps of google searching I found a command prompt for adb.
All I put in was adb connect 192.168.1.5:5555
It works. Maybe in your adb wireless connect put in that you you need :5555 as well
Happy chap. All I need now is a sd card

Tom

Sorry, I could have saved you the search as I often use this command from a DOS shell :(

I just use adb connect 192.168.1.66

if the 5555 port is not added then it is assumed.

sippytom

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 02:09:38 PM »
You can sort of use the card now, but a comment in an article said developers found not use it since you cannot write to it. You can via usb tho from what they say. Will have another look in the morning. Bed time for me.
Btw this is being typed on the XOOM.
so hope I can use your software not basic4android.

Tom

anything