Author Topic: Confused abour making Android apps  (Read 6974 times)

Gonzo

Confused abour making Android apps
« on: October 22, 2011, 07:14:40 AM »
Perhaps you guys can explain what I need to make my Android app and which is the easiest because I'm very confused about all these App Makers for Android. App making is completely new to me as I have never made any before and knowing where to start is the problem. All I'm trying to make is a sliding block puzzle game with picture blocks but where to start?

These App Makers look very good and the first 2 are free but what is the difference between then and Hypernext Android Creator?

www.andromo.com

www.appsgeyser.com

www.basic4ppc.com

I'm not even asking about the Android method shown on the Google home page because it must be for experts as I can't even understand their hello world listing. There must be a way to make apps without learning all this complicated stuff but where to start?

Malkom

• Administrator
Re: Confused abour making Android apps
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:29:15 AM »
Perhaps you guys can explain what I need to make my Android app and which is the easiest because I'm very confused about all these App Makers for Android. App making is completely new to me as I have never made any before and knowing where to start is the problem. All I'm trying to make is a sliding block puzzle game with picture blocks but where to start?

These App Makers look very good and the first 2 are free but what is the difference between then and Hypernext Android Creator?

www.andromo.com

www.appsgeyser.com

www.basic4ppc.com

I'm not even asking about the Android method shown on the Google home page because it must be for experts as I can't even understand their hello world listing. There must be a way to make apps without learning all this complicated stuff but where to start?

Hi Gonzo

Yes the situation newcomers face in creating their own Android apps can be very confusing especially if they don't know Java or don't want to follow the official Android development path.

The list you gave is very interesting and I think many people new to app creation don't fully appreciate the differences between these options. Every app needs some way of telling the computer/phone/tablet what to do. Computers need instructions and they have to be built into the app. Therefore if someone says an app can be built with NO PROGRAMMING needed then those potential apps must be very limited in what they can do even if their websites show some great looking demos.

You need to ask your self what your app actually does because then it will be clearer if those NO PROGRAMNMING systems can work for you. For example, games need both to tell the computer what to do and to interact with the user. Therefore some form of programming is needed. Your sliding blocks game will need programming so from the list you gave only Basic4Android will fit your needs. HAC will also work and in many ways is far easier to use than Basic4Android and certainly easier to use than Java.

I'm sorry for the news that you have to learn some programming but the good news is you don't have to learn all that complicated stuff or take a university course to make your game. However, you have to follow some steps before you start. Decide what your game will do, look at the various app creators out there and see which you feel more comfortable with by looking at their demos, docs etc. Its also safer to pick one that is being actively developed and has forums where you can ask questions and very importantly make criticisms when things don't work.

Best of luck.
Malkom

I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

Gonzo

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:39:12 PM »
Thanks Malkom for making this clearer. It should have been obvious to me that computers are dumb and so programs games need programming. I'm still not clear on what the steps are in making a program but will try to install your demo and see if I can understand the Lunar Lander game.

condrea11

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 11:47:23 PM »
Hi,
I am very new to the android development stage and I have read the HAC how to guide from the beginning to the glossary. I would like to know where I can find the HAC demo/ tutorials. I would like to first recreate the demos (thus crawling before walking)
redcon

Malkom

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 05:56:06 AM »
Hi,
I am very new to the android development stage and I have read the HAC how to guide from the beginning to the glossary. I would like to know where I can find the HAC demo/ tutorials. I would like to first recreate the demos (thus crawling before walking)

Hi

(1) Here is an Hello World example:-

http://www.hypernextandroid.com/hnfiles/progfirst.html

(2) For installing and setting HAC up this has the steps:-

http://www.hypernextandroid.com/forum/index.php?topic=90.0

(3) There are some sample scripts here (with more to follow) so you don't have to download and install HAC to get an idea how things work:-

http://www.hypernextandroid.com/forum/index.php?board=26.0

(4) About demo projects. When HAC is installed there should be a folder called My Android Projects inside the My Documents (or similar) folder containing some demo projects. From the link below the latest projects can be downloaded and loaded into HAC so you can see how they work. That page also has ready built demos that can be installed directly onto an Android device:

http://www.hypernextandroid.com/hnfiles/rescreator.html

(5) By the way, the HyperNext Studio Quickstart PDF is still relevant for getting started programming, as is the Language Reference PDF:-

http://www.tigabyte.com/docs/QuickStart.pdf

http://www.tigabyte.com/docs/LanguageReference.pdf

I hope these can get you started.

Malkolm

I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

anything