Author Topic: Will background apps be killed?  (Read 5754 times)

Dellby

Will background apps be killed?
« on: October 27, 2011, 06:01:45 AM »
My app needs to run in the background continuously but this post is confusing and suggests that this might not happen:-

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7849411/android-2-3x-kills-apps-into-the-background

To test this I made an app based on your project "Background Service" and ran it continuously on my HTC Dream for over 8 hours. It was always in the background and the system never killed it. After being brought to the front its display results showed it had indeed been running continuously without pausing just as I intended. Can you shed some light on whether running a HAC made app in the background will be reliable or at some point will likely be killed by the system?

Malkom

• Administrator
Re: Will background apps be killed?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 02:29:07 PM »
My app needs to run in the background continuously but this post is confusing and suggests that this might not happen:-

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7849411/android-2-3x-kills-apps-into-the-background

To test this I made an app based on your project "Background Service" and ran it continuously on my HTC Dream for over 8 hours. It was always in the background and the system never killed it. After being brought to the front its display results showed it had indeed been running continuously without pausing just as I intended. Can you shed some light on whether running a HAC made app in the background will be reliable or at some point will likely be killed by the system?

Hi Dellby

We have also run various tests and under normal circumstances when the Android device is not overloaded with running apps and has plenty of free RAM then an app built by HAC should run in the background indefinitely. However, the Android OS can kill applications when RAM becomes very short but would try to restart them when possible.

Of course we haven't tested every combination of Android target, device and emulator but our design seems to work well.

I think some developers are concerned about running apps in the background continuously because depending on the app design they could reduce the available resources that can be quite limited on older devices. We have tested this and even on older devices such as  G1 phone a HAC built app takes about 1% cpu when it is idling in the background.

Malkom
I am sorry but I do not have time to answer questions by PM or email.
If you post your questions in this forum then it might help others.

anything